Dr. Amar Khoukhi has been with the Department of Electrical, Computer and Systems Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) as a Sr. Lecturer since August 2019. He received an Advanced Diploma of University Studies in Operation Research from Decision Mathematics Institute of Paris IX Dauphine University, France and obtained a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Polytechnic Montreal, Canada June 2007. Over the last several years, he had been involved in several research projects in the fields of soft computing, robotics and petroleum engineering, and published more than 130 international peer-reviewed journal and conference papers. Dr. Khoukhi is a senior member of IEEE, and member of Canadian Society of Mechanical Engineering, Sigma Xi and Emerald Literacy Association
Ph. D in Mechanical Eng., Mechanical Engineering Dept. University of Montreal, 2007
Doctorate of Engineering, Computer Engineering Dept. Paris Tech School of Engineering, 1991
Advanced Degree of University Studies, Operation Research, Decision Mathematics Institute, University of Paris IX Dauphine, 1985
Focus AreaRobotics, Control Systems, Machine Learning, Optimization, Petroleum Engineering
Selected Scholarly WorksIssued Patents
1. Directional drilling system and method, US20150345222 Published: 2015-12-03
2. Control method for mobile parallel manipulators US 8977394, Published: 2015-03-10
3. Parallel kinematic machine trajectory planning method US 8719212 Published: 2014-05-06
4. Method of predicting gas composition US 8700549, Published: 2014-04-15
5. Method of performing facial recognition using genetically modified fuzzy linear discriminant analysis US8478005. Published: 2013-07-02
Selected Journal & Conference Publications
1. T. Helmy, M. I. Hossain, A. Adbulraheem, S. M. Rahman A. Khoukhi, M. Elshafei Prediction of non-hydrocarbon gas components in separator by using Hybrid Computational Intelligence models, Neural Computing and Applications, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 635–649, 2017.
2. A.Khoukhi, Data-driven multi-stage multi-objective motion planning of mobile robots, application to near minimum power fuzzy parking, Computers and Electrical Engineering, Volume 43, , Pages 218-237 April 2015
3. M. Talib, M. Elshafei, A. Khoukhi, A. Saif , A. Adbulraheem, “ Modeling and control of quad-rotor Directional Steering System, IEEE Int’l Symp. on Innovations in Intelligent Systems and Applications, pp. 76–83, 2014.
4. A. Khoukhi, M. Hamdan, Mobile parallel manipulators, modelling and data-driven motion planning, International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, vol. 10, 2013.
5. A. Khoukhi, A Structured Approach to Honours Undergraduate Research Course, Evaluation Rubrics and Assessment, Journal of Science Education and Technology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 630–650, 2013.
6. A. Khoukhi, “Honors undergraduate research course, a prime assessment and a proposal for a link with capstone design experience, Proc. of the 3rd Interdisciplinary Eng. Design Education Conf., IEDEC 2013, pp. 115–120, 2013.
7. A. Khoukhi, Hybrid soft computing systems for reservoir PVT properties prediction, Computers and Geosciences, vol. 44, pp. 109–119, 2012.
8. M. A. Rahim, H. M.Khalid, A. Khoukhi “Nonlinear constrained optimal control problem: A PSO-GA-based discrete augmented Lagrangian approach, Int’l Jou. of Adv. Manuf. Tech., vol. 62, no. 1-4, pp. 183–203, 2012.
9. I. Al-Arfaj, A. Khoukhi, T. Eren “Application of advanced computational intelligence to rate of penetration prediction, Proceedings - UKSim-AMSS 6th European Modelling Symposium, EMS 2012, pp. 33–38, 2012.
10. F. Al-Ghamdi M. Al-Khaldi A. Khoukhi M. Al-Salamah, Minimizing the Tardiness in a Single Machine Batch Processing, Int’l Conf. on Ind. Eng. And Operations Management (IEOM 12), Istanbul, Turkey, July 3-6, 2012.
11. A. Khoukhi, M. Hamdan, F. Al-Sunni "ANFIS based-kinematic modeling of mobile parallel robot, Proceedings - 2012 14th International Conference on Modelling and Simulation, UKSim 2012, pp. 242–247, 2012.
12. A. Khoukhi, S. F. Ahmed, “A genetically modified fuzzy linear discriminant analysis for face recognition, Journal of the Franklin Institute, vol. 348, no. 10, pp. 2701–2717, 2011.
13. H. M. Khalid and A. Khoukhi, “Fault detection and classification using Kalman filter and genetic neuro-fuzzy systems, Annual Conference of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society - NAFIPS, pp, 2011.
14. A. Khoukhi, “An Intelligent multi-agent system for mobile robots navigation and parking, ROSE 2010 - 2010 IEEE International Workshop on Robotic and Sensors Environments, Proceedings, pp. 40–45, 2010.
15. A. Khoukhi, “Stochastic parameters identification and localization of mobile robots, ROSE 2010 - 2010 IEEE International Workshop on Robotic and Sensors Environments, Proceedings, pp. 24–29, 2010.
16. A. Khoukhi, “Data-Driven Multi-Objective Motion Planning of Parallel Kinematic Machines”, IEEE Trans. On Control System Technology, Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 1381-1389, Nov. 2010.
18. A. Khoukhi, L. Baron, M. Balazinski, K. Demirli, “Hierarchical Neuro-Fuzzy Optimal Time Trajectory Planning for Redundant Manipulators”, Eng. App. of Art. Intelligence, Vol. 21, 7, pp.974-984, Oct. 2008.
19. A. Khoukhi, L. Baron, M. Balazinski, “Projected Gradient Augmented Lagrangian to Constrained Multi- Objective Trajectory Planning of Redundant Robots”, Trans. Can Soc Mech. Eng. vol. 31 (4), p: 391-405, 2008.